Saturday, April 11, 2015

Interview with Robin Van Crabb

I'm absolutely delighted to bring you this interview today with Robin Van Crabb!  
Robin is the gorgeous blogger behind The Dress Decoded, and she has the most amazing sense of style.  I've been following her on Instagram for a while as well (@robinvancrabb), where she shares more gorgeous snaps of preppy classic and amazing vintage pieces.  

The Dress Decoded is wonderful for garnering outfit inspiration and finding the perfect thing to wear for the perfect occasion.  I visit it regularly for styling tips and ideas!  You can follow along too at thedressdecoded.com.
Not only is Robin absolutely stunning and stylish, she's one of the genuinely sweetest people I've met online and she was so kind to answer a few questions about her style, blog, and life!
~~~

What made you decide to start The Dress Decoded?
I started The Dress Decoded because I wanted to give practical style advice to the normal girl on what to wear whether it's for a certain event or an everyday look. I want my readers to get more out of my blog than just what I'm wearing, but on how to style things for themselves. 

Your Instagram bio proclaims that you are "A Life Sized American Girl Doll."  Which American Girl are you?
I loved American Girl dolls growing up, and I had Molly. I would have to say I'm Molly because I love her story and her clothes. I always matched my doll growing up and now I like to think I still dress like a doll. ;)


Where are some of your favorite places to shop?
My favorite brands are Land's End, J Crew, and Ralph Lauren, and some of my most unique items are from Modcloth.com.

Who are some of your favorite Instagrammers?


What do you take your photos with and what do you use to edit?
I use an old Canon camera or my iPhone, and I always use After Light to edit because you can straighten pictures really easily. I really don't do too much to my photos besides brighten them.

What's your favorite quote, and why?
I don't know if I have one favorite quote, but I love many from Henry Ford!


What is your favorite thing in your entire closet?
My pink tweed "skirt suit" hand's down. It's very lady like and I feel wonderful when I'm wearing it. Finding a non-professional skirt suit is very hard, so you rarely see anyone young wearing one. 

Who inspires your style?
That's a tough one! I love Doris Day and she influences me to wear things both classy and confidently.


What are some closet essentials for preppy style that you think are staples in a classic wardrobe?
First and foremost, oxford cloth button downs are essential, along with chinos, cable knit sweaters, and boat shoes.

What was it like getting to meet KJP and Sarah Vickers?  That's such an amazing opportunity!
It was incredible! They are the real deal - completely authentic, kind, and generous. The factory was amazing to see in real life, it's like someone out of a dream. 


When shopping vintage, what are some of the most important things to keep in mind?
Make sure you're buying something that you'll actually wear, not just something you wish you could wear. For example, a crazy print dress from the 60's seems like a fun idea, but you have to think realistically if you'll actually wear it. Always get items dry cleaned and tailored to make sure they fit you best!

What is your favorite kind of event to get dressed up for?
I love attending weddings because the venue and seasons are always different creating a new challenge to find the "perfect outfit". Thankfully I'm in that stage of life where I go to weddings pretty often!

When you think "confident", what is the first thing that comes to mind?
I think confidence comes with knowing your style and owning it. It's hard to figure out exactly what you're style is, but it's very fulfilling once you figure it out and wear what works best for you. Always dress comfortably yet fitted because it will show if you're uncomfortable in your clothes.

~~~

Thank you so much for the interview, Robin!
Follow along with Robin on her blog and Instagram.
Shop Robin's style from these photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...