Monday, June 27, 2016

Can Your Style Change?


The question "Can your personal style change?" is one that has interested me very much in the past, but I never thought I'd be asking it about myself.  If you'd told me 6 months ago that I would be wearing a kimono or an off-the-shoulder top on my blog, I 'd probably have laughed at you.

Maybe those of you who have been reading LMHC for a little longer have noticed it too, but I was recently flipping through some old posts, mostly just to laugh at my past writing style, but I noticed that my photos and writing weren't the only things that were different.

Over the past few months I have leaned out of my past style, which was more preppy, nautical, and "fancy", and gone towards a new aesthetic.  The preppy movement had a huge boom about two years ago, and it has died down dramatically as of late.  As the prepster craze disappeared, my style evolved.  Why?


I wasn't feeling good in it anymore.    I am a huge believer that you should dress for YOU: if you don't feel beautiful in your clothes, don't wear them.  One day I was dressing up for a dinner, and I decided to forgo the my button down, cable sweater, and tweed skirt for a botanical-printed maxi dress.  I felt like a boho goddess, maybe even a little hippie-princess, but most of all I felt a freedom, and a unique beauty.  I felt confident, gorgeous, and in touch with my personality.  I was chasing that feeling, and my old style wasn't giving me that anymore.

Of course, I have changed dramatically as a person over the past year.  I went from a name-brand addict who loved all things leather to a passionate vegan and animal rights activist.  I've grown as a person, and I've never been happier in my life.  It's only natural to change, especially when you are young, settling into life, and learning about yourself every day.


I remember about a year ago when I received a comment on a post saying something like, "You should try boho style, I think you would look amazing!"  It was a sweet thing to say, but I was pretty dubious that I would ever do it.  Lo and behold, here I am.  Not fully boho, like my friend Shannon of Upbeat Soles, but I've integrated a little of it into my new style sense.  That just goes to show you that you can never say never.


I don't think I eschewed my old style completely.  I still love Lilly Pulitzer's bright prints, I still like stopping at J. Crew and Ralph Lauren when I'm at the mall.  But I've expanded my horizons, and things I used to wrinkle my nose at are now fair game in my closet.  My style is a happy melody of classic, feminine style with a little bit of bohemian flair, a little trendiness, and yes, still some preppy in there.  Maybe I'll change my style again, but I'll embrace that if it comes too.

12 comments:

  1. My style always changes and evolves as I grow. I think it's fun to keep changing styles!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think styles can change! I always say if you love it then wear it!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed style is always evolving! I love how you change yours... very chic! =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean. My style is constantly evolving. There are so many factors that can change it, your lifestyle, age, personality. I agree and that you should always dress for yourself and be confident in it! I love seeing your style evolve!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I love most about fashion is the evolution and the option to be whoever you want to on any given day. Mine has definitely evolved over the years too.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great looks. I really love your style. Check out our sunglasses GIVEAWAY!

    http://www.eyefeelshady.com/blogs/eye-feel-shady/sunglasses-giveaway-on-call-couture

    ReplyDelete
  7. My style has definitely evolved over time, too! I'm with Amy- fashion and following the trends gives you the opportunity to try on different vibes + styles and be whoever you want on any given day. It's fun!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I totally agree that your style can change overtime. In fact, mine seems to change day by day! All of these different outfits look great on you!

    Love, Lindsey
    http://www.thenomisniche.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, it can totally change and I love that white dress!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny reading this post because I sort of went through the same "transformation" last year! Style is fun and meant to be ever-changing!

    www.rosyoutlookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree! Our style does change esp as we grow and mature. My style has definitely changed and besides: Fashion should be fun! We should experiment and try different things! Love your new boho, i.e. vegan style! You are an inspiration to me!
    I hope your day is as beautiful as you are!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogging is such a great way to help us define our personal style! Mine has definitely changed over the past couple of years as I've discovered I'm really most suited to classics basics and neutrals.

    Heidi || Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...